Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Knook Knitting: FREE Pattern - Strawberry Tawashi (for Dishes and Pans)

Here is a free pattern to tackle.  It is called a Tawashi, which is Japanese, meaning scrubber.  This cute, kawaii tawashi is really easy to whip up.  It uses just the knit stitches, which results in a garter stitch pattern.  This is a free pattern for personal use.  It is not meant for selling for personal gain.  :)

Tawashi can be knitted or crocheted.  If you are in to Zakka lifestyle, this would be a great project to complete.  For scrubbies meant for skin, like your face or body, use yarn such as cotton.  For dishes, pans, and surfaces, use acrylic since they are rough and can really clean out stubborn stains and food particles that have harden.  Or, you can be creative and use any kind of yarn that fits your project.


Knook Tawashi

This tawashi uses the Knook.  The yarn I used is an antibacterial acrylic yarn from Japan.  When we lived in Washington State, I used to go to Daiso on a regular basis and buy these yarn.  I wish they had Daiso here in Hawaii.:(  Anyhoo, I still had some left over and decided to whip this up.  Sometimes I think this tawashi is too cute to use, but I hate using store-bought sponges.  They stink!  This and any other tawashi creations can replace stinky, yucky sponges.  By the way, you can also microwave any tawashi for a minute to kill bacteria.  You can also throw it in the laundry when you are washing.

Let's get started!

Materials:
Gauge is not important here.  Just follow what the label says about your specific yarn.
Yarn (your choice), I used acrylic, two colors: red (color 1, main color) and green (color 2, secondary color)
Knook, I used the 5.5 mm with a cord
Yarn needle
Black yarn for eyes and mouth (optional)

Techniques:
Knit stitch, left to right or right to left (whichever you prefer) - I used knit left to right, or K LR
Knit bar increase (see my video), or k1f&b (knit one in the front and back)
I cord (see my video)


Pattern: 
Garter Stitch

Abbreviations
C1 = color 1, C2 = color 2, CO = cast on, sts = stitches, k = knit, k1f&b = knit one front and back of stitch, R = row, ssk = slip slip knit, k2tog = knit two together, dec = decrease, inc = increase

CO 4 sts using C1
R1: Begin inc; k1f&b, k2, k1f&b (6 sts)
R2: Knit all sts
R3: k1f&b, k4, k1f&b (8 sts)
R4: Knit all sts 
R5: k1f&b, k6, k1f&b (10 sts)
R6: Knit all sts 
R7: k1f&b, k8, k1f&b (12 sts)
R8 to R12: Knit all sts
R13: Begin dec; ssk, k8, k2tog (10 sts)
R14: ssk, k6, k2tog (8 sts)
R15: ssk, k4, k2tog (6 sts); cut C1 leaving tail
R16: Add C2; knit all sts
R17: Knit all sts
R18: Begin dec; ssk, k2, k2tog (4 sts)
R19: Knit all sts
R20: ssk, k2 (3 sts left); begin I-cord on this row until you have reached the desire length for the handle


Bind off the I-cord and leave a tail.  Thread the tail through a yarn needle and sew this to the base of the I-cord to make the handle.

Optional: Add eyes and mouth with black yarn.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my page. Comments are welcome, but please know that everything written on here are my personal opinion and work.